The New London Concert Band is not new! Read on.

Although the name of the band is the New London Concert Band, there is nothing new about the band - except its name! We have programmes from as far back as 1905 when it was known as the Edmonton Town Military Band so it was presumably established some time before then. The New London Concert Band must surely be one of the longest established bands in the area. We have minutes of committee meetings from 1923 to 1987 which show that some time between 1905 and 1923 the word "Town" was dropped from the name.

 

In 1952 it was agreed that Tottenham Council should "adopt" the band which would be given a grant/loan of £200 This was to be repaid by giving 10 free concerts during the years 1952 and 1953. The band was renamed the Tottenham Military Band. At the AGM of 1958 a proposal was made to change the name to the North London Military Band but this was defeated. Almost 30 years later, in 1986, the name was changed to the North London Concert Band reflecting the fact that players came from many North London Boroughs. At the time the band was based in Edgware.

Strange to relate, the more recent history of the band is a little hazy about dates. It is thought that, as many of the players came from south of the river, in the 90s the rehearsal venue was moved to Tooting. However, the band had definitely changed its name to the New London Concert Band by 1998 when it went to play in Prague.

In 2009, when we lost our rehearsal venue in Surbiton and the previous conductor retired, the band moved to Lower Kingswood and discussion took place about changing its name again but it was thought that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it is ever changed perhaps it should be to the Old London Concert Band but that may well give a completely wrong impression because, although the band is old, our members are of all ages, old and young.

In its early days the band played regularly at the weekends during the summer months in Pymmes Park, Edmonton, and this continued up to the end of the second world war. It also had a dance band and a female singer (see programme, items 4 and 9).

 Some extracts from the minutes are on the next page.